Aged Care Policy
Looking after our elderly
Love Australia or Leave Party would like to see better care of our elderly, while figures report that operators of aged care homes have profited by a massive 40 per cent in 2015.
Yet aged care homes have cut hours of nursing care while still claiming higher payments from the federal government.
The profits soared in the sector after the government introduced reforms of aged care and lifted restrictions on the accommodation bond that nursing homes can levy on residents. It was also reported that there was a spike in false claims by aged care home providers for government subsidies, which increase depending on the level of needs of the patient.
According to annual figures by Bentley Chartered Accountants, the average profit per resident in 2015 was $6278, a significant rise from 2014 ($4497). The figures equate to $17.20 profit per resident per day. The percentage rise of the average bond per resident rose from $154,116 to $217,839 a massive 40 per cent profit.
The government reported that one in seven homes made false claims and one in eight audited by the government last financial year were incorrect leading to an unexpected massive $150m government blowout in aged care budget.
The federal government also revealed that aged care operators were rorting the $10.6 billion Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI).
Australia has no recommended levels for staffing, leaving nursing levels dangerously low and it is no wonder we are seeing an increase in residents having accidents that could have been easily preventable had staff numbers been adequate.
The elderly are most vulnerable and should be our most loved however, our governments and our people are failing the very ones we hold dear. It is Australia’s duty to look after and protect its older generation from neglect and harm.
Aged care needs to come under Australia’s health system, we need to abolish all aged care facilities and place them under the care of our governments health system.
It is time to regulate and monitor our elderly they are the very venerable in our community.
It is time to step up and look after our people!
Love Australia or Leave Party will implement the following polices as a matter of urgency to protect our elderly from harm.
- LAOL will place a cap on aged care home bonds.
- Will make sure there is adequate nursing staff to meet the demands of the elderly
- LAOL will put in place better and stronger home care services so that our elderly can stay in their homes for longer.
- LAOL will seek an inquiry into the care of past and current residents of nursing homes and seek answers to the inadequate care, mismanagement and inapropriation and of funds along with investigating fully complaints of abuse and neglect.
- Anyone who is found to have neglected or mistreated our elderly should be dealt with in accordance with the law whereby they face goal time and heavy penalties at the higher spectrum of the law.
- Aged care needs to come under Australia’s health system, we need to abolish all aged care facilities and place them under the care of our governments health system.
- All nursing homes need to come immediately under the governments watch.
LAOL will seek to abolish nursing home care being owned and operated by companies or individuals and believes it is time that they are run under a government health system.
Back to Federal Policies Online